No Goodreads Goal? BIG PROBLEM.

I get jealous sometimes of the people who can just steam through YA fiction all year, blog every two days, and create this center of magic.

I am not that person.

And this year without a Goodreads goal, I was even more of a flailer. This is me December of last year:

screen-shot-2016-12-29-at-8-46-17-am

See how I’m SO not held down that my hair is blowing straight in the wind?

ec0cd6edfb857e67f375ea3221ac3206

Knock Knock even made a fancy pro/con list.

I’ll take Flounder-er’s throughout history for 200, Alex. Because that’s what I was this year.  Unlike Book Stacks Amber, I didn’t just lower my goal, I got rid of that sucker altogether for a year. I took the advice of countless blogging sages who have come before me like Jessica Pryde at Book Riot and Broke By Books.  Surlymuse got into my head a little bit too and like any good working gal, I made a pro / con list. Countless ex-boyfriends have been through this routine and someone could have just saved me if they said, “If you have to even write pro / con about a boy on a piece of notebook paper, he’s not worth your time.” However, I take the Ben Stiller approach (in Along Came Polly) and like to know exactly what I’m getting into, with both books and boys.

The list had more cons because I wanted it to and so I didn’t write in a goal this year. Surlymuse called the way Goodreads tracks books is, “some kind of perverse commodity” and I felt that too.  For too long, I had avoided books over five-hundred pages because I wouldn’t keep up with my Goodreads goal in the long run. And Goodreads is such a gem for telling you how far behind you are every year.  In 2015, I got seven books behind and felt like I was turning circles at sea. I turned to short children’s books to fill the gap, or poetry chapbooks, or even just those one-off story collections from Vintage American that Goodreads totally counts as a full book.  I’m also a Goodreads librarian so I can add those short, sad, totally not books to Goodreads as if they were.

Is this abusing my power or are there people like me out there?

Whatever short, probably not as fulfilling as long drawn-out works, I could find would be on the list. They just fit so well into my Goodreads goal catchup list. It’s worth it if you can just maintain the goal.

The goal would say, “How could you only read three books in September when you know you must read five to even be in the running?” WHERE IS YOUR MOTIVATION, SOLDIER.

And I gave that all up.

blog250113-michelleAnd what happened was sort of disastrous. Without a goal, I was flying solo. I was a Beyonce without Destiny’s Child, at least I felt that way in the beginning, until I was Michelle without Destiny’s Child.

But now I have the gift of looking back on my reading this year and it is a sad, sad state of affairs.  I’m not even sure I can do a Top 10 books list (or 5 if you’re stingy) because I read so few books, that were so random, that I can’t even equate them within the same lists. There are months under my “Read in 2016” where I had to write something like “I did not read a single book this month (because I’m a heathen).” That was a statement written in fear of leaving a whole month blank.

ywmqvkfsMostly, I can sum up my reading this year in one statement: I read what I had to teach to my AP Literature kids. Which, thank goodness for my own choosing, wasn’t just the Western Canon. Towards the end of the year, I hit up some #diversebooks hashtags on Twitter and found that I had actually read a lot of literature, and nonfiction about the African American experience. I think subconsciously as an educator, and consciously as a human, I wanted to be both less ignorant and more thoughtful. My best friend is a mixed white and black man and I wanted to really understand when he told me to “use my privilege.” I needed to understand my current world a little bit better, but … I think I would have still done that with a Goodreads Challenge. I think I would have done more of it and been better at it actually.

Instead, this year, I read a lot of half books. If you asked me how many books I didn’t finish, but I got to a juicy part, I could tell you it’s over one hundred.  There were too many book piles on the floor next to my bed, in the currently reading bookshelf, the to be read bookshelf, and the bookshelf in the home library.  Plus, I took frequent trips to the library and we live within two miles of a used bookstore.  It’s all unhealthy actually.  So, this all led me to finishing hardly anything.  I was a snacker of books. I grazed and got too full and moved on before even the finale of anything. If I read the whole thing it’s because I had to or I was drawn to.

22822858I was flailing. I still am flailing. I started This Little Life and talked to my friend Sage about reading it together and then after one Book List with the first book of calamity leek as an undiscovered gem, I immediately switched back to reading that. I haven’t touched it since the plane to Iceland. I’ll pick it up like no time has passed like I’ve done all stinking year.

So for the sake of sanity, and for an anchor, I’m going back to the Goodreads Challenge this year. I’m just giving in and admitting that as a Capricorn gone Sagittarius, sticking to Capricorn (Thanks, NASA), I need a goal to keep me driving, but to also keep me on the damn road.  No tangents, no veering, no “OU, Squirrel” moments for my reading schedule next year. I will be pushed once again by the man, that is Amazon Goodreads.

What are ya’ll’s plans for the Goodreads goals?

(I just wanted to use ya’ll’s in a sentence … twice).  Will you keep them and be held down or will you let go and float in space and see what happens to your reading happens.   I would love to hear from you (no, seriously, lack of comments gives me anxiety).

If you need some more goals, check out this year’s reading challenge: Book Better

There’s a Goodreads group: Book Better and a Twitter: #bookbetter2017. Details on the Book Better Challenge Page.

6 thoughts on “No Goodreads Goal? BIG PROBLEM.

1. Amber @ Book Stacks Amber says:

I’m planning to keep my lowered goal again in 2017. It worked really well for me this year. I met my goal over the summer, so I didn’t have any pressure at the end of the year to rush and meet a number goal.

I majorly failed my reading challenges this year, so instead of participating in any in 2017, I’m starting a TBR jar full of prompts, like the ones from the Better Books Challenge you shared.

That sounds like an awesome idea. Will you just pull one out and find a book that matches? I found that without any goals or specifics I was just half reading everything and it got really exhausting. At one point I was reading 7 books at once, not sure if I finished any. What’s your lowered goal this year? And do you track it on Goodreads or yourself?

2. Claire 'Word by Word' says:

A Goodreads goal is a necessary thing, as long as we don’t make reading into something competitive. Having the goal makes us reconsider our night time activity and remember how much we love a great read and to use our imagination and exercise the brain when in relaxation mode. It’s a goal that is best kept ahead of, so it has to be realistic and easily achievable, so its better to under estimate rather than push oneself.

I’ve had the same goal for some years now, a book a week, 52. The only year I missed it, I pushed it out to 60. Why? Because I forgot what I’ve just told you. So silly. I want to always have time to be able to read a book a week, but I know there are some months I can’t and won’t and some periods where I can read a lot. I don’t want artificial pressure, I want freedom. I might even reduce it this year, just to be sure there’s none of the wrong kind of pressure. I want to be aware of what I’m reading and not getting lost in that void of booklessness.

It’s ok to set it at 40 and then read 52. It’s not pleasant to set it at 52 and only read 40.

I remember when you had a lot more time to really indulge your reading, and I know you like to scribble and take notes and highlight passages and really enjoy the experience, but now you have a job that requires not just extra time in your day, but extra downtime that won’t always be spent reading. So I recommend a book a week = 52 or if you feel it’s going to be a busy year, remove one book a month and make it 40 and then be an over achiever :)

And please do it, so we can follow your reading during the year!! It’s not just the blog, it’s the reading activity that’s fun to follow!

Claire, sometimes I wish you decided to be a teacher because you always give me a sense of calm. I think I will set it at 52 and try to read a book a week, that seems doable. I actually just quit teaching (my last day was the 22nd) and so I will have more time with a different job. I definitely miss reading and writing both so I’m pretty excited to have more time for that. I think the pressure is what made me quit. Right now, I’m reading this fabulous science fiction book right now and hoping to finish it as my last book of this year. Wah!

3. Elisa says:

I set a low goal, I just use it to keep track of what I am reading, as I graze too and I even forget where I am and what I started. My To read list looks like the old Sears and Robucks christmas catalogue where I circled just about Every Toy for Santa to bring to me. For me reading and choosing is not about discipline, it’s about an expression of joy, creativity, being engaged.
    Maybe it’s a life lesson to shuck the shoulds when it comes to things of enjoyment. I can tend to fret that I am missing something OR as I have heard some say…I am way behind on my reading. Is there some smiting diety that scowls and warns and takes away the joy of intellecutual input when I choose to do something else? I think not.

So. I thought when I was seeing all of these top (fill in blank) books of..lists. An inspired thought came to mind. If I made a list of things I wish to read in 2017 and kept that list at ten. IF I felt driven by a goal or wished to remember what I wanted to do, I could. I think Goodreads for me while having wonderful aspects for ‘normal’ folks, sets off my tendencies to compare me to others(even an other i make up in my own head), my pefectionism and not goodenoughs and just robs me of the joy of experience. So the things that make me go ooooooooooooo inside go on the to read in 2017 list.

I must really believe someone is going to come and punish me because I am so hard on myself when I don’t make that goal. I’m like WHAT WAS I DOING WATCHING ALL THAT TELEVISION. I think it’s one of those things that if I’m not reading, then I know something is off in my life? Does that even make sense? I want to know some books that make you go ooooooooooo inside, for sure. Share me some!