August TBR

I thought maybe if I shared my complete August TBR, I’d actually get around to reading each one. I am going to push myself to reach my Goodreads goal (even though I believe less and less in the Goodreads reading challenge each year – that is for a whole other blog though). Really, can a sister just read literary magazines for the rest of the year and call it a day? It’s a shame that I can’t count short stories or spending four hours on the Poetry Foundation website. Poetry meandering on the interwebs should really count as a book. Oh well. Goodreads is a master manipulator so I will bow down and finish my challenge.

Screen Shot 2015-08-08 at 10.36.02 PM

Screen Shot 2015-08-08 at 10.36.02 PM

Screen Shot 2015-08-08 at 10.36.02 PM

Screen Shot 2015-08-08 at 10.36.02 PM

Screen Shot 2015-08-08 at 10.36.02 PM

Screen Shot 2015-08-08 at 10.36.02 PM

Screen Shot 2015-08-08 at 10.36.02 PM

20 thoughts on “August TBR

Right?! I said “Um, yes. Click.” I almost don’t even care how obviously weird it’s going to be. Comes out in September! Let’s read it together.

I read the back and something was just drawing me to it. I’m starting it today so I will let you know. I’m looking even more forward to it now.

Lauren Groff… I can’t even. I fangirl so much over her. I’m hearing so many good things about The Enchanted. I’m starting it today and I’m so excited about it.

1. Amanda says:

I hope you like How to Build a Girl! Teen me cringed all the way through it – it’s got these deliciously, painfully awkward moments that make you want to shake her and hug her at the same time.

I just read a review of a book that sounded just like something you would like. It was about Benjamin Franklin’s younger sister I believe. I think it was called ” The Life and Opinions of Jane Franklin”. Here is a review quote from Stacy Schiff, ” Like her brother, Jane Franklin was a passionate reader, a gifted writer, and an astonishingly shrewd political commentator. Unlike him, she was a mother of twelve. Benjamin Franklin, who wrote more letters to his sister than he wrote to anyone else, was the original American self-made man; his sister spent her life caring for her children. They left very different traces behind. Making use of an amazing cache of little- studied material, including documents, objects, and portraits only just discovered, Jill Lepore brings Jane Franklin to life in a way that illuminates not only this one woman but an entire world—a world usually lost to history. Lepore’s life of Jane Franklin, with its strikingly original vantage on her remarkable brother, is at once a wholly different account of the founding of the United States and one of the great untold stories of American history and letters: a life unknown.” The book is written by “Lepore”, an award winning historian and professor.
    You may want to add it to your TBR pile or maybe your book club could take it on.

3. Leah says:

You have some great books on the horizon! Fates and Furies and How to Build a Girl are fantastic. (And I love that you call John Green the Nicholas Sparks of YA; perhaps that’s why I’ve never been able to get into his books!)

4. ncontreras83 says:

Are we friends on Goodreads? If not…you must add me. I go through the same thing every year. It’s a love/hate relationship. I love love love making reading goals but then drive myself crazy trying to achieve them or stress myself or find ways to finishing them but creating some sort of loop hole, or just deciding that I juse don’t care anymore. The latter being the current mode and usually the one that rarely happens. Though none the less, I love making reading goals.

• ncontreras83 says:

It’s either the same or ncontreras29… but I think if you look up my whole name you should find me. I have a reading journal. Like really a notebook where I put my reading goals in either by month or season but by the time the season or month comes I’ve changed my mind a thousand times. Hahaha but it does feel great when you can cross a book off your list. It’s even better when it’s a book you ended loving.

Right! I do that as well or a hold book comes available at the library or I just find something that I HAVE to read. I totally get that. I love the reading journal idea.