#NaNoWriMo

I’m diving in.

Taking the turn.

Flashing the mob.

Dancing in the rain.

Turnin’ this truck around.

Checking it twice.

Hollerin’ if you need me.

Gold diggin’.

Okay, I give up.  When you have to think longer than three seconds, you just let it go.

My creative writing students have been ragging me to write my novel.  I ask them to write everyday from funky prompts, unlimited imaginings, and on top of it I make them watch Marcel the Shell videos for first person narrative inanimate object help.

So, in order to get my Dad the Lexus I promised him (at the age of 9) upon the publication of my first novel and then later wrote that story down as my personal statement to be accepted to college at NCSU, I think it’s time I just shut up and did.   I wrote 30 pages of swamp narrative when I took a hiatus from blogging (which still hasn’t come back yet from that vacation, still in recovery).  It was swamp/roadtrip narrative to be honest and my Dad told me it had no plot, so I should probably buy a book for plot structure …

I’m participating. #NaNoWriMo.  For the first time ever.

It’s a cause for goose bumps.

Let’s be buddies: BookishCassie

If you’re considering participating, please join me in battle.  We can go down together and I’ll carry you out of the dead heat of a lazy afternoon, if you do the same for me.  We can be partners in crime, a comedy team, a silent prayer.  I need people with posters on the sidelines.  I need to stop waiting for my new diary to arrive and just write my words down on the page.

I’ll be writing in Omm Writer which I find to be the coolest tool ever.  I will not let the music play however, but I do like the typing sound.  Saturday. It’s on. Less like Donkey Kong than I think it’s going to be.  Let’s high five this sucker out, after our hands cramp up from all that writing.

Does this mean I can get a cool shirt?

27 thoughts on “#NaNoWriMo

1. Amanda says:

Good luck! I did NaNo once a couple of years ago and swore to never do it again (very stressful time at the day job + completing an entire novel in a month = had a breakdown at work). But call me crazy, I think I might do it again this year…with a much smaller project. I’m Amerandasue :)

Ah! Yay! I think I’m going for more of a short story collection, but we will see. I need all the encouragement I can get. I would totally be someone to breakdown at work. Bahhhh!

This is a great endevour, did I spell that right, for you. You are the ultimate journal writer, so when you stress out, just pretend you are home, in bed, and writing in your journal. Good luck to you and to all of you out there taking that giant leap into the unknown. So Brave!!

3. cricketmuse says:

I completed my NaNo novel about four years ago. I skipped the T-shirt but framed the certificate. I’m still editing it. Writing over 1,000 words a day is not my usual style of writing. I slog through a lot of extra verbiage to get at the good stuff. I call it the NaNONO novel month, yet everyone should try it for the experience. P.S. Having a general outline helps.

That’s the thing, even if you fail one day at reaching word count – the next day could be perfect. I’m a little bit more than word count but that’s because I just push everyday to make it and then go a few more hundred words. It feels very much like a math problem.

4. Claire 'Word by Word' says:

Just don’t forget that Nano is an extended writing exercise, creating the habit of writing every day.

I don’t think you need a book on plot, you just need to allow the think time to have a sketch of the story unless it’s literary or experimental. It’s like looking at(creating) the map before you do the long walk, but then you ditch the map, because you aren’t writing a crime novel and you want to access the deep and not be constrained by rules and intellect.

Good luck with Nano and with the novel(s). :)