Newsday Tuesday

Favorite Tweets:

Favorite Search Terms:

• things with horns: unicorns, dragons, cars, dinosaurs, rhinoceros, some bugs…I just laughed out loud when I saw someone googled this because a few weeks ago, at the teen center, we were playing family feud and all the guys wanted to put “cars” and I was yelling “unicorns!!” and guess who had more points?  ME.
  • the human mind is not capable of grasping the universe. we are like a little child entering a huge library. the walls are covered to the ceilings with books in: I can’t even fit this whole google on this page.  Someone wanted to get philosophical with the google machine.
  • poem to remind the boys to lift a toilet lid: I just know some fed-up mom googled this.  I want a poem to make sure my nephew pees into the bowl and not along the rim where other people place their delicates.

Book News:

14 thoughts on “Newsday Tuesday

1. jperrykelly says:

I’m sooo glad you posted this! Now I know it’s okay to write about male pattern baldness. Um…what about beer bellies without the beer? Good luck in your upcoming job (and I hope your move went well:<).

Haha! Yes! I don’t think I’ve ever read a book with a main bald character. I can’t think of any, in fact! You need to write one so that there’s one in the world! : ) And yes, beer belly too – add that in.

Thanks for the luck – I’m going to need it. Teenagers!

• jperrykelly says:

Yep. I worked for four years as a much younger man at two schools along Chicago’s North Shore: the now defunct New Trier West and New Trier HS. I don’t envy you! But at least you’re young enough there shouldn’t be any permanent damage:<)

• jperrykelly says:

Absolutely. Whatever you do, do NOT volunteer to drive a mini-bus full of teens across two states on a three-day camping trip if they’ve determined you’re a pushover. Nuff said;<)

Hahahaha. Lucky for me, LUCKY LUCKY FOR ME, I’ve already done that….bahhhhh…I worked at a summer camp for two summers and got to go on adventure trips and hiking trips with teens. I was totally a push-over. It’s in my nature – I need to get tough. Maybe I should start lifting weights.

2. angela says:

ha! must read the literary snob one.

btw, I’m behind, but surprised it didn’t make your posting…are you not following @NPRbooks on the best YA books ever? Lots of scuttle and posts around blog/interland. What say you, YA maven?

The literary snob is great and yes I have! Mentioned it twice I think! I will have to read the list again of who made this rounds cut. Obviously, I will always root Salinger, Harper Lee and Betty Smith. Some of these new titles I’m not so sure about. What about you? Any detestable or wonderful choices?

• angela says:

Yikes! You did…my bad and I scanned 2x, alas, I’m too lazy to grab glasses and eyes are tired tonight…I shall blame that!

what say you (it is a pet line of mine…where did it come from, a movie, You’ve Got Mail? perhaps is where it first stuck?)

anyhoo.. so tough, YA wasn’t what it is today when I was young…I’m a HUGE Bradbury fan, though, so 451 & Something Wicked; To Kill A Mockingbird; Little Women(or is that too young?) ~

So, I’m voting for my ten titles now and adding about a hundred books to my to-read list. BAH. I’m never going to read all the books I want to read in this lifetime. Good thing I believe that my after life will be a giant library and I will be able to read books in hours. : ) Obviously, in a comfortable chair.

Bradbury is a MUST. I also love Laurie Halse Anderson (contemporary YA). Little Women is definitely not too young. I read that at….twelve? But I was reading up because I so badly wanted to be a teenager!

Vote and let me know your choices! I will send you mine. Not so sure I will be able to choose out of 325 – geez!

Okay! So I chose:

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, The Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger, Go Ask Alice by Anonymous (can’t believe they haven’t figured that one out yet), Harry Potter by JK Rowling, The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros, The Outsiders by SE Hinton, Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson, To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee, Why We Broke Up by Daniel Handler, and Lord of the Flies by William Goldberg.

I think Daniel Handler is the only one I’m not 100% on.