I do this awkward thing where I cover my mouth with open fingers while I talk.  It’s strange how our body learns to cope with our own awkward.  My awkward is in my teeth, which coincides perfectly with my word nerdness.  Anyway, this morning I went to brunch with a lovely lady named Epiphany.  We had been in the same circles in high school, but never really “hung out.”

She also made me this amazingly-me card that I will now frame and post in my house somewhere (probably on a bookshelf).

Thumbelina, The Almost-Disney Version

Epiphany is the girl who new how to french braid before everyone else.  That’s how I think of her for some reason.  She’s full of spice and innocence like Thumbelina, which is ironic because she just wrote a blog about that book not too long ago at The Golden Bookshelf.  The Golden Bookshelf is a blog that has children’s book nostalgia, small furry animals, and a cute girl with a Mona Lisa smile and perfectly trimmed bangs.  It’s the blog my blog would be if I wasn’t so vulgar, scatter-brained and concerned with the future of the princesses rather than the end-all, be-all of their happy endings.  It’s perfect, the way Easter is perfect with it’s pastels and jubilation.

Anywho, we went to brunch (perfectly timed at 10:30) and discussed all things current, and past.  GAH, pasts are exhausting aren’t they?  They just creep right up and remind you that you were once someone who tried too hard, looked desperate, tripped over your own shoe laces getting off the bus, went to school pictures in the worst horizontal stripes, got bad haircuts (yes, plural, admit it), wrote a boy’s name a hundred times in your journal and then burned it.  Silly little pasts.

I start here with this brunch because I’ve been wondering about the past lives of characters.  Where do they come from before they’re in our book and killing each other off, or falling in love, or sweeping the front porch with a broken broom and callused feet?   I especially worry about the mother characters.  My mother has had her hands full recently with my brother and I.  I’m moving to the land of corn festivals, and my brother is just a hot curly mess.  Before she had us to keep her up at night worrying – slamming her body every which way to find sleep, I know who she was…mostly.  I know what she’s told me about my family and the men who were important and the ones who just weren’t.  But, I’ll never know who my mother was when she walked down a middle school hallway, or started to perm her hair (which is now genetically curly), or what she dreamed about in her bedroom because no one can tell me those things.  BUT, and this is a big but, thus the capitalization, you CAN do that with characters.

The Passion by Jeanette Winterson

I just finished The Passion by Jeanette Winterson.  It wasn’t the best plot I’ve ever read, but it did have some quotable moments.  Both main characters, Henri and Villanelle are suppressed by their past at different points in the story.  Villanelle is unable to give her heart away (literally) because it was hidden under floor boards in a desperate house, and Henri spent 8 years under Napoleon Bonaparte that he will never get back.   How they find each other leaves them historically undesirable.  The past of each character plays such an important role in the book because neither of them end up very happy.  Sometimes the author gives the reader a slice of the character’s past and sometimes the reader is just thrown into the train of thought and left to dust themselves off later.  Here is where the BUT comes in…

I’ve been wondering about my favorite characters-if they aren’t written into a series, how do I know that they had an okay childhood, that they weren’t neglected or made the center of a piece of news.  What gossip did they tell as teenagers?  What boys did they love before they found their match in the stiff cracks of book pages?  I’ve told you all before that I like to carry more than one book in my purse so that in case a character gets lonely he can hide in the zippered pocket with another and have deep conversation.  Luckily, I have a purse with far too many pockets.

Jasper thinks this whole post is just ridiculous.

Where have they been.  I’m hiding these people in my purse and I don’t even know their mother.  I don’t know whether they have table manners, or drink tea pinky-up, or have swam in the ocean and let the salt water burn their eyes.  I want to open up their mouths and search down into the esophagus for the truth.  (When you yell down a throat does it echo).  Wouldn’t you love to know what happened to Heathcliff (Wuthering Heights) before he was found?

In memoir writing class, they teach you that you have to share your childhood.  If you’re writing a life memoir (or biography), you have to include the moment you learned to read, or your favorite childhood book, because these are the questions that reader’s ask.  If I’m reading your childhood memoir, then I expect to know how you read and that will explain how you write.  Why can’t this be the case with fiction?  For every novel published, there should be a one chapter back story that doesn’t ruin the plot.

Heathcliff by beautyandbeast on Flickr

“Heathcliff was abandoned on a stoop for crying too loudly and too long.  He had colic for the first three months and due to the lack of laundry machines, there was no swift repetitive motion that would calm his cries.  He drank water from the rain gutters after he learned to crawl and made homestead in a park using acorns as a main meal.  When found, he had never had a bath indoors and was baptized only by the soft sound of rain against his pink sunken cheeks.”

That’s past enough for me, is it good for you?  Why aren’t we allowed to feel the soft indent character’s scars make in their skin?  Fiction gives us this small chunk of time and we’re expected to live with it, live with them for a year, or a day, and move on to others.  We have a whole town of quarter-lived lives in our heads.  A whole town of people we’ve known for a week and then they slip away between the pages, like notes folded into bed sheets.  All I’m saying is that I want to know the good ones longer, draw each memory out.

51 thoughts on “Some crazy girl went on and on for this post. Cassie checked out around Paragraph 3.

What a wonderful post!! I loved all of it. Whoever that crazy girl is, she wrote it well. The pictures also added so well to the blog. It made me think of times past, of the present times, and it made me smile.
    As for any memories of mine you may want to know, just ask. I am sure I can remember a few choice stories of middle school, high school and beyond.

2. Claire 'Word by Word' says:

Well written characters, just like real people do have back stories I am sure, that is one of the things that gives them depth and although those biographies don’t appear between the pages of the novels we read, they often exist in the writer’s notebook. I have separate biographies of all my main characters, which is as much fun to delve into as the story itself (and I often reread them to reaquaint myself or even to add something in), its the place where flashbacks perhaps need to stay, though I do like to include them in a story and especially when I imagine a film version – I love those old Italian films that start in a small village before ending up in the contemporary citified world, like Cinema Paradiso and Ba’aria.

So I am intrigued about the land of corn festivals, where are you off to young lady, response by post please :) The top of the Eiffel Tower is winging its way towards you as we speak, did you see my pics?

3. The Other Watson says:

“…or drink tea pinky-up”…oh my, I had never even considered this, about myself even. Now I’m curious. But do I want tea just for that? Now I’m going to be watching this in everyone I ever drink tea with. Oh no look what you’ve started! :P
    Awesome post! And so very true, it is something I think about actually. Except I just imagine up my own pasts for characters, and futures. And only the ones I like.
    But I definitely think as a writer, I have quite an idea of the pasts of my characters in my stories, so I wonder if other writers do – I’d imagine so. You could always try and contact them and ask them? :)

Let’s have tea when I return to Aus and we will figure it out. I agree authors know the past but sometimes keep it all a secret. Claire is right though, that is the stuff for flash backs and in appropriate moments.

• The Other Watson says:

Sounds like a good plan! So you do want to return to Aus one day in the future?
        That is very true, I do usually reveal what little I do reveal of their pasts through flashbacks and the like. I reveal all I have to, and no more. Especially in shorter fiction and novellas. In novels I can ramble on a bit more sometimes, hahahaa.

Haha I’ve never tried a novel, but my short stories ramble so I definitely know what you’re saying. : )

And yes I’d like to go back. I have an aunt there that I have a great connection with so I’d like to visit her for sure.

• The Other Watson says:

Ohh you’ve never tried a novel! Oh you should, they’re so much fun! You should do NaNoWriMo this November, it’s the best way to do it, it does amazing things to you as a writer I think. This year will be my fourth, and I might even start an official region in my local area (we did it unofficially last year) and run that, too. But yeah…you should do it. Then when I ramble incoherently like a lunatic at you at different points in November, you’ll have a deeper understanding of why. Hahaha.
        And awesome, that’d good you have that reason to encourage you to come back (other than that it’s a pretty awesome country, and if I have to leave it one day (I suspect I might eventually) it will make me sad to leave it). :)

It just deleted my whole comment. WOW.

Why I don’t do NANO. Everyone I know has failed at it and I’m super competitive and don’t want to fail. I would probably write a horrible novel that had 50,000 words just to meet the requirement. However, I’m not writing a novel right now so maybe I should just stop whining and do it. I would like to join your official region though, haha. I am writing everyday – just not at novel mass. I’m writing poems and weird….almost-stories. I don’t even know what to call them.

AND YES, AUS. I will be back and this time I will totally be stereotypical and learn how to surf. I have a good friends in Brisbane right now being a nanny maybe she will convince me to go. I’ve never been to Brisbane!

• The Other Watson says:

Baaaaah I hate when that sort of thing happens!

Well now not everyone you know has failed at it – I’ve whooped it’s ass three times (and last year I did 75000 words, though that very nearly did kill me as it coincided with reports and marking time at work hahahaha). But okay, here’s the thing – I have talked many many people into doing this with me before. Some win it with me. Many “fail” in as much as they don’t reach 50000 words. But, those people often DO write thousands of words, often tens of thousands, that may have taken them months and months to do before – surely that is still a win? If it motivates you at all to finally start the novel, it’s a win in my books! And once you get that ball rolling it’s hard to stop it. I even actually kind of like the draft I wrote last year. I mean it needs a lot of walk, but for a weird litfic turned psychological thriller that I made up on the spot, I was kind of impressed with myself. The ending was killer!

Anyway, yes, do NaNo, you will most certainly have my support and encouragement and nagging! :P Those almost-stories you’re writing sound interesting. Are they like….fragments…but big fragments? :) I would like to see your writing, I can just tell you’d be an amazing writer that’d probably put my clumsy, whacked out stories to shame! :P

Yess….because all Australians know how to surf. *cough* But that would be awesome to learn that, of course, and Aussie beaches are a beautiful place to do it! ;) I’ve only been to Brisbane once, quite briefly, but I remember liking it. Not as much as Sydney or Melbourne, but it was noticeably less populated (and congested). I still have so much of this country to see myself, sadly. STILL have to see Uluru. :/

Oh geeze I can’t restrain the size of my comments. I’m sorry (kind of).

You. are. an. inspiration. Seriously, how BA can you get?! GO YOU for completing so many words in the last 3 years, that’s almost over 200,000 INSANE!

I think I have let you talk me into it. Although, this will be my first year teaching so hopefully I won’t be literally losing my mind come November. Ah, well, we’ll see. But do nag me, and do remind me about a hundred thousand times. I need to get the ball rolling.

The almost-short stories are complete in my mind but in the middle of a section they will say (insert blah blah blah that happened to blah blah blah) so they’re working….they’re just not written yet. Haha. I have one that I’m really in love with that I’m hoping to publish but it’s another fourish months until I get that to do what I want it to do. BLEH, that fourish statement just exhausted me for a second there.

Haha, I just watched all these small children surf while I laid on the beach and got no ozone burnt. It was terrible. I need to be unafraid of shark attacks, and whales if I’m going to swim and lap in the giant Australian seas. : ) I never went anywhere but Sydney and Canberra and so I have more exploring to do as well. You better get on it though because you live there. Don’t worry, my Aussie friends have seen more of America than I have and I’ve seen more of Australia. : )

• The Other Watson says:

Hahahaha, sadly it’s nowhere near as many as I have wanted to complete. I mean, I’ve also written a film script (in 7 days, that was…fun…hahaha), and this year I was going to write 12 novellas but so far have only finished off one – this year has conspired against my lunatic writing ambitions sadly. I mean, some of the distractions have been a good thing, but I guess even I have limits, and I stupidly thought this year would be like last year in terms of how much spare time I had, when clearly it is not the case. But I guess I shouldn’t be hard on myself, when I think about your reaction haha – I guess I have still written a fair amount over the last few years. Next year will be my big editing year – editing and rewriting and sieving through everything to determine what I want to push further, maybe towards publication, and what I am going to let wallow in its own…crapness (I’m quite goodly with words today).

Anyway, thank you for saying such nice things, I did blush a bit. And I know how you feel – my first two NaNo’s were during my teaching degree (both timed with teaching pracs) and my third NaNo was at the busiest time of year with my first year of teaching too. But for me, in all three cases, I liked NaNo because it gave me an excuse to switch off from teaching for a little while each day too. I think you need that initially, otherwise teaching can become a very overwhelming job. But still, a very fun job ;)

OH I know what you mean now about your almost-stories, I do that all the time. I used to do it with essays too ahahaha. It’s funny how you describe it in terms of how long it’ll take before you get a story to a point you like. I guess for me I’m just like “I’ll just keep attacking it and tearing strips off it and throwing things at it until it damn well works. And I’ll keep drinking wine. Wine helps.” Haha. I really should have a more planned or at least less chaotic approach to my writing…I mean I kind of do, but I kind of don’t. Compared to you I don’t I suspect haha.

Hahahaa, shark attacks aren’t a real threat in Australia unless you’re up VERY north, or up in Darwin. But generally they keep a pretty good eye on that kind of thing. I just don’t surf because I am clumsy and uncoordinated, more than anything. But really the biggest threats in Australia are the sun, spiders, and drunken bogans getting up on their high horse. :P

You’re a total over-achiever but totally inspiring – especially now that I know your first teaching was when you did one NaNoWriMo. Good luck with your editing year.

I don’t really have a timeline with writing I guess – I just know myself well enough that I know how long a piece of writing should really take for me if I really put the effort in – depending on size. Editing is the most exhausting AND the most important phase so it’s going to probably be the longest. What do you want to edit first? What’s the plot of the tale I mean or the novel, or story? I want to know like a one sentence summary!

• The Other Watson says:

Hahaha, well thank you, I don’t really know what to say but I guess if I inspire others that is always a good thing (I mean, as a teacher I like to think that is the ultimate goal of my job, too). :)

Yeah, I do know what you mean actually. I know my most ambitious story I am working on will take me at least a couple more years (which is scary to hear myself say, but I know it’s the truth). That particular one is my second NaNo, and the draft I wrote for it was a very rough skeleton, but now I’m heavily researching it, with plans to make the story a lot bigger…I’m going to need about 150,000-200,000 words to make the story work and thread in everything I want to, so essentially I’d be at least tripling it in size. So hence the two more years I suspect I’ll need haha. And that one I guess answers your question – next year I’ll be finishing off my research for that, hacking the first draft into millions of little pieces, then restructuring it and starting draft two, which I will try and pump out in roughly 6 months before going back and editing that one again. And the plot? Hmm. Well. It’s set in the 1300s, around the rise of Edward III to the English throne (including the overthrow of his uncle Roger Mortimer who usurped the throne from Edward’s father), his decision to begin what would be the 100 years war, and his political decisions and actions through this and the Great Plague. But while he will be A main character (I want to explore him as a person, as a human, not just a political historical figure), I have another main character in mind…

So what are your stories about then? I’m curious now too?

So, first off…I can’t believe you’re writing a historical fiction (is it fiction) for NaNoWriMo. That is a crazy undertaking because you have to do so much research before you even begin that kind of novel unless you want it more history than fiction. But even so, it takes a lot of knowledge about that specific time and place, not to even mention people! BAH.

However, I love to read about plagues. I’m one of THOSE people so I have to say I would definitely be interested. My stories are about an assortment of things, usually I write about womanhood, my grandmother, the town my family grew up in. In college I wrote Catholic girl/Dead Grandmother poetry pretty much all four years. That was …. interesting.

• The Other Watson says:

Hahaha, I know I know, it was a bit crazy of me to do a hist fic for NaNo (yep it’s fiction). But I think I started dabbling with the research a couple of months before, and when the time came back in Nov 2010 I just thought…might as well see what story comes out. It was more just to get some ideas going, I don’t think I ever intended that to be anything like the final story. But it was good, there was some good ideas that came from that rushed, relatively unresearched draft (but there was some terrible ones too, but hey, we can learn from mistakes :P ). But yes, I that’s why I’m leaving the second draft of it until next year, giving myself plenty more time to continue the research. I have a ridiculous amount now, in terms of books etc, and I might squeeze in some time for site visits when I’m in England in a few months (if I have time, because that is going to be a very tight trip time wise :P ).

Your approach to writing sounds cool, and much smarter – you write what you know, as where I’m silly and try to write about what I don’t know quite often, I think. But I like how there’s threads through the things you write about…I can imagine if you were to write something bigger, like a novel, it would somehow all come together in a really interesting way. As I said, I would love to read some of your writing one day! You definitely have a way with words (otherwise I wouldn’t be on this blog, hahaha).

I keep clicking the wrong thing and wordpress gets me off the comment page. I had written you paragraphs BUT here is the short of it.

YAYAYAYAYA YOU’RE GOING TO ENGLAND. You’ve been wanting to go for so long – I hope you post pictures of everything you see.

I think it’s interesting you write about things you may not know much about because it keeps you learning. Sometimes out of the blue yonder I write something random, but it’s rare. My voice is pretty strong in specific directions so I mostly stick to those. : )

I love that your NaNo gave you some great ideas even if there were a few duds. I want to read this book!

• The Other Watson says:

Bahahaha, I hate when that happens…and it only EVER happens when you’re writing a super long comment. :P Maybe we should switch to emails haha, it’s less likely to happen through that way (I think).

But yes, very exciting to be going to England. The reason why I am going is something I would have never expected, but certainly no bad thing. But it will be exciting just to be there, even if it’s a short trip. Later on I’ll do a longer trip. It will be weird to be back in a country I have been in since I was 4, even though I still have a strong attachment to it.

I think that might be why I write about things I don’t know, because I’m always curious and always learning about new things, and I often just want to turn them into stories, even if I’ve only dipped my toes in the subject (this is exactly what happened with the hist fic story – I learned about Edward III, and how Edward II was dethroned and apparently murdered, and realised the importance of that historical period anyway and just thought “I have to write about this. Have to.”). But I still think it’s good that you stick to the directions you know are your strengths – my problem is that I’m not even sure of my strengths. I know people often tell me my stories are funny (even when I don’t mean them to be). But not too sure…

That’s the great thing with NaNo I think – you never walk away empty handed. Every NaNo I have done has given birth to SOME good ideas. You can always take things from it, and turn them into something else. :)

Let’s email. However, I warn you I’m no good at replying. I will reply…it just may take a few days when I add it to my list of things to do. Honestly, I suck at email. : )

4. Word Hits says:

Loved this post! I wonder about characters too. What happened before, and I love when that comes into the story in flashbacks. Yes, I’ve always wondered about Heathcliff. Was he Black Irish? Alot of Irish came thru Liverpool, but could be from anywhere since Liverpool was such a port town. Spanish? If you are a fan of Jane Austen, there is a lovely collection of short stories called Jane Austen Made Me Do It. Normally I don’t like fake Austen sequels, but this is a well done collaboration. Anyway, several of the short stories are the back stories of characters like Captain Wentworth (his time at sea), how Mr & Mrs Bennett met, etc.

Great post Cassie. Feeling a kindred spirit!

The funny part about this whole post is that I really don’t love Jane Austen. In fact, I really can’t read any of her books because I’ve had so many bad experiences in classes with them. All of my teachers who taught Austen in high school and college were just boring, or miserable. It was very strange.

However, I will take you up on the short stories because I haven’t even heard of them before. And I do love your speculations about Heathcliff – I’m not even sure. As he was described, I’m not even sure what he could be. He was described so suave.

And thank you for your comment. : ) We must be kindred spirits! <3

• Kate's Bookshelf says:

I just had to comment on the book about Jane Austen. While I’ve never gotten through but one of her books, I do wonder all the time about the back story of the characters. I think I will have to find that book on the short stories. How very cool. Maybe us non published writers should start writing all the back stories to all these people. Since not too many people have.

I’ve never gotten through either! I feel so pathetic because everyone raves about her and there so many branch off books about Austen book clubs and such. BUT, I just haven’t enjoyed any of her books. Maybe you and I should try to read one at the same time and being able to discuss it will make it better. We can start a miniature book club. And we should start with that short story collection because it sounds really interesting! : )

• Kate's Bookshelf says:

Cassie, sorry for the delay in the reply. I love this idea, but right now my life is so swamped, I don’t have much time for any major reading like that. Do you still have my email> I know in the fall things will slow down, along with letting me have enough time to find this book. Email me and we can figure it all out! I’ve tried reading Sense and Sensibility with one of my friends, but I just could not get through it. I think the movie spoiled me. :P

I do have your email, yes!! I will email you in a bit and we can figure it out – I need to find the book as well. I love reading along with someone because it keeps me going and then I can talk to them about all the juicy bits.

I do love the movies : )

• Word Hits says:

I will confess that I have a general horror of Austenalia and all the faux follow-ups. But the short story collection, Jane Austen Made Me Do It is very satisfying exception … if you like Jane Austen. The backstories are fun, and also most of the writers do a good job keeping in style with Austen. (Tho none can write quite like her.) BUT it sounds like you two aren’t really into Austen, and I think this really is fan fiction. Honestly, I’m not sure if you would enjoy the stories if you aren’t a tad obsessed with Jane. Kind of like trying to watch Star Trek generations if you aren’t a trekkie. Haha. Ok, so ladies who ARE some of your favorite authors? I am confounded at this lack of love for Jane. ;) ;)

I think I was always just forced to read Austen and so I could never like her books because she was never of my own choosing. It was always through school or pushy recommendations that she came to me. I have an adorable pocket sized bound copy of Pride and Prejudice though so I may need to pick that up and crack open the gold lined pages. Not sure how I got it since I would never buy it but maybe the book gods just nestled it into my bookshelf.

If I’m going to start somewhere with Austen – where should I start? Do you have a favorite I should read!? I think I may like reading work inspired by hers rather than just hers.

• Kate's Bookshelf says:

I actually love, LOVE, Persuasion. I’ve just never been as inclined to read the rest of hers as much. I still want to read P&P and Northanger Abbey and Emma. Okay, technically I want to read all of them, but they take me a while, and I am so spoiled by the films. And am just a tad obsessed with Jane, just in a different way I suppose.
        Favorite authors? I’m sort of random, but Emilie Loring is my favorite. I like a lot of everything. I should write a post on some of my favorites. :)

I loved the films and my best friend is obsessed with Knightly and so she was always wanting to watch her in British roles – very strange. We watched a lot of her in Austen roles.

I will have to look up Emilie Loring. I haven’t heard of her. What is your favorite and I will see if my library has it? And I will also check on Persuasion.

• Kate's Bookshelf says:

Emilie Loring is a writer from the 1920’s to 50’s, so old. I think my favorite is Here Comes the Sun (partly because it was the first one I read), However Beckoning Trails, Uncharted Seas, Love Came Laughing By, and Rainbow at Dusk, are equally lovely.

Persuasion is very indepth though it’s one of Austen’s shortest books. It’s all really about character, but it is very intense, especially when you think it isn’t going to end well. Even though I saw the film first, I was on pins and needles reading it.

Oh, the films. Don’t get me started on how lovely they are. I still can’t decide which version of Emma I adore. The one with Jeremy Northam and Gwyneth Paltrow, or tne new onw with Romola Garai. And BBC’s S&S versus Emma Thompson’s. I’ve yet to see the BBC Pride and Prejudice, but I’m dying to since Colin Firth is Darcy. Sighs of delight.

I am loving the titles of Loring’s books. They’re all so alive. I will have to search around and see where I can find some of these. My library may even have them. I’m going to do that right now in fact.

PS. I think I will like Persuasion because I like character stories.

• Word Hits says:

Kate,
        I also love LOVED Persuasion. Sigh! Cassie that might be a good one to start with if you are really eager to try Jane again. I think Persuasion, P&P, and Emma are the easiest to get into. But perhaps, like Charlotte & Emily Bronte, you are just not an Austen fan. The Bronte v Austen rivalry is pretty fierce among readers. (I love both, but that is not really the norm). If you loved Wuth Heights, have you read the Tenant of Wildfell Hall? I couldn’t put it down! As to the films, I was not that impressed with the BBC S&S–tho the cinematography was lovely. Poor pacing. The Ramola Garai Emma is pretty darn cute, but I think the Gwyneth version really nailed the essence of Austen’s story. Finally don’t get me started on Joe Wrights recent film of P&P w/Kiera Knightly. That was abysmal, painful. (Hope he does better with Anna Karenina). Even the Jane Austen society came out and said it veered too much from the story and characters. Also, Darcy was not handsome and had no backbone. The BBC P&P w/Colin Firth is pure genius!!! Keep me posted on the mini book club in the fall. I’ve never read any Loring, so eager to try that and other recs.

I will do my best to read Persuasion because this is two people I trust giving me recommendations! I must start. I do love the Bronte’s. I just love them – maybe that’s why I can’t get into Austen because I’m team Bronte.

I know the Knightly version is terrible, but you have no idea how many times I’ve seen that movie. So many times that I’m embarrassed about it. I do love LOVE Colin Firth so I will have to watch the BBC version.

I found that all the Loring books at my library are large print (strange). It’s as if since their older books that they believe older people are reading them. Who knows really what they were thinking.

Email me and I will send you and Kate emails and see if any one else replies to this thread. Maybe I’ll post a blog about it and see if anyone wants to do some kind of book blogger book club. I’ve never been in a book club so I’m over excited. That way we can all talk about the books. We could do a skype book club meeting – I’ll bring tea! : )

• Word Hits says:

Tea and books sounds fabulous!!! Very excited!! I do love LOVE the Brontes. They were a much easier addiction to me than Jane Austen. Wuthering Heights is just about THE best book written. Jane was an acquired taste, but now hooked. Yes, yes book club!

• Kate's Bookshelf says:

And I feel somewhat guilty, but I’ve never read Bronte either…. Okay, I started Jane Eyre, but I’ve yet to finish it. I so want to, but it’s a longish book.
        I really love the Gwyneth version of Emma too! I always felt guilty because it wasn’t as long… So obviously it must be lacking something. And I’m afraid I can’t agree on the casting of Darcy in the P&P w/ Kiera Knightly. I loved him.

I’ll have to run through some of my favorite authors and get back to you, or post something on it. (that’s actually a good idea for a post)

Jane Eyre is a book that has to grow on you. I had to read it like four times to really get into it.

Please do a favorites post and send me the link. That would be wonderful!

5. Kate's Bookshelf says:

I completely understand your desire to know the back story of characters. Who was this person, and what made them the way they are now? Like the Sheriff of Nottingham. What made him such and evil dude? And in films, gah, I want to know about certain characters and what made them. Like Frank in the Transporter. (that just happens to come to mind because I was watching the film the other day.) Why did he leave the military? Why did he decide to transport? Why? Why? Why? I must know, but nobody has written his back story for me to read!
    I found this great post on the Ultimate Character Sheet, for authors/writers to use to fill out the back story of their characters. I was blown away at all the questions you fill out about these made up people, but it is their life and back story sort of. You might be interested in it. ( http://fireeyesinthedark.wordpress.com/writing-aids/ )

Personally I can’t wait to try it out.

Great post. I’ve been wanting to comment on it all week but haven’t had the time. I think I must read it again too because it was so much fun.

Ouuuu, I loathe the Sheriff of Nottingham. His back story would be amazing to read. I have a feeling his wife died in childbirth or something absolutely miserable. What a character that one is.

I am totally going to check out that character sheet and work a character through it. Sounds like fun – I’m going to look right now actually! And thank you for the comment. I hardly have any time, but I love surfing the blogs!