This is a blog dedicated to those who don’t listen and those who should.  To those who only buy hardcovers.  To those who read a paragraph and put the book back on the shelf.  To those of us who scan the blurb and see the words, “romantic” and think grocery store.  To those of us who turn over Jodi Picoult only to hide her and her mad lib stories from readers.  To those of us who avoid the trilogy tables, the best-sellers, the sale section, the classics.  To those of us who believe hipsters are wannabee readers and editors are famous.   To those of us who stick our nose in the air over pink covers and don’t buy a book unless it “feels good.”  This if for you.

Explanation:

Finnick & Annie

For the past year I’ve been dodging and ducking recommendations to read The Hunger Games.  People I trust have hidden them in my getaway bags, left me “quote” twitter messages, honed in on my feminist tastes.   I’m sad to say I even avoided the blogs written about the series.  And all of this is because I’m a book snob.  I’m one of those people that think writing is a fine art like a Picasso painting or an Alexandrian building.  When I see books like The Twilight Series (although I still get giddy over it) I think they ruin book culture because they have no literary merit (I’m sure people will argue with this).  And thus, the reason I avoided The Hunger Games.  However, I was so wrong about this trilogy in so many ways.  First off, if anything, The Hunger Games trilogy is leading people back to reading.  Gamers, Googlers, and Facebookers are all taking a break to watch movie trailers of the book, read them again, spending 30 days on a blogging challenge, creating tumblrs dedicated to the book.  It’s miraculous.  Not only that, but the books have literary merit.  They’re extremely well written – Suzanne Collins knows how to work a plot rather than just throw in a love triangle and let readers eat themselves alive.  I thought I was going to implode, my favorite characters were murdered.  Characters I thought I could trust were spreading chaos throughout the districts.  I was losing my mind over much more than a heated love triangle between (finally) a girl and two beautiful men.

Hunger Games Cupcakes from FictionalFood.Net

And for that, I’m sorry I didn’t listen.  I will next time.  Thanks to the #hungergamesweekend.  I’m now caught up and can share the book with everyone I know.  I know at least six people who still haven’t read them so the book will come back to me torn, stained, and human by the end of this.

*spoiler* My dad thinks that Katniss is going to escape the first games with Rue.  I told him, “it’s going to be a long three books for you, daddy.” He has no idea what’s coming.

—————————————————————————————————–

I also wanted to write this blog to everyone who has given me a Versatile Blogger Award.  I’ve learned so much about myself, writing, the world, through blogging and I couldn’t be more thankful for this community of people.

This award, like them all, comes with duties (but unfortunately not a sash).

1. Post a picture of the award.
  2. Thank the award giver.
  3. Share 7 random facts about yourself.
  4. Nominate 15 other bloggers for this and tell them so.

Well, here goes nothing…

Versatile Blogger Award

#s 1-4 (minus the feet).

7 Random Facts:

1. I feel glamourous in sunglasses and like to pretend I’m famous in the car by blowing kisses to the rearview mirror.
  2. I like to keep my volumes on even numbers, both on the television and on the radio.
  3. I have cold feet, all the time.  It must mean I’m  half reptilian.
  4. I carry an Ugly Doll on my keychain named Turny Burny.  I thought it was so I could find my keys in my too large purse but really it’s because he/she has special powers.  (He/She’s also androgynous).
  5. I listen to other people’s conversations in coffee shops for book recommendations because I assume everyone who drinks black coffee reads.
  6. I failed my blood borne pathogens test last week for training and probably have to retake it.  Teens were talking to me and I suck at multiple choice tests.
  7. I crave cheese and strawberries on a regular basis even though I make a sour face whenever I eat strawberries.  I just always think they’re going to taste better than they really do.

Blogs I’d like to Award:

My personal favorite blog has been Grain Sifter since I started blogging.   I get her blogs immediately to email and am always amazed by her voice and writing style.  The best part, she doesn’t even know how wonderful she is.  So drown her in admiration and praise today along with all of the other recommend readings.

68 thoughts on “Thank You Day

1. contraryme says:

I share your passion of avoiding what the mainstream considers to be “good” books! Thanks for putting into words all that I have felt! I like to let the public go crazy over books that eventually lead into the movies and get hyped up again.. once everything calms down and virtually disappears I will read it if I think it is one I can really get engrossed in! Hunger Games is on my list.. but not until after Eat Pray Love and the many others ahead of it in line! Are you on Goodreads.com? I would love to checkout your list!

2. Audra (Unabridged Chick) says:

I too get snobbish about really trendy/popular fic, and so I haven’t read the Hunger Games books — BUT now I will. I like YA fic enough but haven’t felt in the mood for the genre — but I do hate being out of the pop cultural loop.

Thank you so much for tagging me — I’m flattered!! Such great company. I tend not to do award-y things for my blog, but maybe this weekend I’ll share some trivia about myself (sadly, I don’t have adorable pics and/or purse friends to share! ;)).

It’s funny because I agree with almost everything you said. I tend to avoid the awards as well – I’m obviously thankful for getting them, but I never like to write posts about them. But today, I decided it was a day for praise.

And of course, I love your blog! It always enlightens me on historical fiction and whenever I’m in the mood for historical fiction, I know I can go straight to you blog and find something good.

I hear that people thought the second one was the least favorite. I’m not sure. Maybe I’m still on the high wave after just finishing. As my dad always says, nothing will ever beat Harry Potter.

3. TBM says:

I’ve also been exploring genres I haven’t read in the past and I’m enjoying breaking free from my normal read. I haven’t read the hunger games yet, but I’ve added it to my TBR. Congrats on the award.

4. Ellen Rhudy says:

I’m so glad you read The Hunger Games, and that you loved it as much as you did! I read the books last fall, after pretty much ignoring every blog about them – I just assumed they were trashy ya books. I forget what made me try them, but once I started reading I couldn’t stop. I am pretty sure I sent emails to half the peace corps volunteers I was serving with, telling them to read thg IMMEDIATELY.

I love the ways blogging about books has opened me up to trying different genres. There are so many books that I wouldn’t have read if I weren’t seeing my favorite bloggers writing about them, and most of those for stupid reasons – that I wasn’t interested in mystery novels, or YA, or dystopian novels, whatever. Sometimes I think that book blogger-style reading is the opposite of hipster-style reading, because there is just so much enthusiasm and love for books around here, regardless of genre – it’s the best!

I just love everything about this comment and I completely agree. It is true, a book blogger can make me love a book much faster then any public outcry can.

And just like you, I’ve sent about twenty emails saying READ IT, IT’S NOT DUMB OR TRASHY! So, we’re definitely in the same boat there – yay!

5. C.B. Wentworth says:

Congrats on your award! Yay! :-)

I was a little late to The Hunger Games party, too. My students kept on my case until I finally sat down and read it. Wow. That book blew me away and I enjoyed the rest of the series as well.

6. Kristine says:

I was totally TOO COOL for Harry Potter. I didn’t understand the phenomenon AT ALL–I thought it was all for kids and I was like TWENTY-THREE. Then I read the first book and I gobbled up the rest of the series at the time (they were up to book 5, I think) over a weekend, and then I totally turned into THAT GIRL, in line at the midnight book release for #7. You’d have thought I’d have learned my lesson, but I was also TOO COOL for Twilight and TOO COOL for the Hunger Games. Hunger Games reads SIGNIFICANTLY better than Twilight, but I’ll always have a soft place in my heart for the Twilight series because, love it or leave it, that chick ACTS LIKE A 16 YEAR OLD. All this feministing revisionist hoping is because we’re upset that she does.

But Hunger Games! Kapow! I’m so excited for the movie! And I’m reading any “this could be the next teen series” books that my friends throw my way, because I’m not going to get left in the cold again.

Don’t worry – I totally understand. I stopped at Book 4 of Harry Potter because he wasn’t interested in girls enough. How much of a loser am I? I’ve since made up for it, but I was definitely that girl. When Twilight came out, I was all over it. I think I read it before it even got crazy.

7. Let's CUT the Crap! says:

Thank YOU for awarding The Versatile Blogger Award to Let’s Cut the Crap. I now MUST take a day to get all the awards from the New Year till today, polish them up and put them in my display case. So much work but it does feel special.

Don’t have as much time to read this year but I now MUST get the Hungry Game. I’ve no place for more books, but so what!

8. cookiejarprincess says:

The Hunger Games are some of the best books I’ve read in many years. I am one of those people who recommend them to everyone I know and then some.

Also, I received my letter last week and I absolutely loved it. I haven’t gotten back to you soon because I’ve had the plague (aka upper resp/sinus infection), but it was definitely the bright spot in my day. I had forgotten how much I used to look forward to letters in the mail (back in the day before the internet existed). I will be responding this week and I think I’m going to take up the challenge myself. :)

Oh gosh, I hope you feel better. That’s miserable. And YAY! So glad you got my card, can’t wait to see what you challenge yourself with. I agree The Hunger Games really blew me away – I wasn’t expecting that at all.

9. lapetiteveg says:

ok, well, YOU have convinced me to read The Hunger Games. Though I’ll more likely be doing it this summer in a lawn chair. My 15-year-old brother kept telling me I should read them and I, like you, turned up my nose. But to see that you’ve turned yours down, and that you actually enjoyed them– and had great things to say!— well, I’ll give them another chance. What an appropriate post, thanks!

Isn’t it funny how we could miss something because we’re so stubborn? Hope you enjoy them. I’ll wait and hear how you did this summer from your lawn chair. Hopefully, I’ll be in the sand somewhere. Your brother sounds like a smart boy. : )

10. BermudaOnion says:

I’ve been avoiding The Hunger Games because I’ve heard it compared to Battle Royale and I didn’t enjoy it. I am going to try to get The Hunger Games before I see the movie.

11. Jen Thompson says:

First off….love the keyring lol.
    Ever since I saw the trailer for the movie I’ve been dying to read the hunger games, just to see what it’s all about basically. Everyone has good things to say about it though. Now its just a question of when will I have time to read it.
    Congrats on the award, you deserve it, your blog is always funny and entertaining.
    Thankyou for nominating me also… :)

12. lucysfootball says:

An AWARD! For ME! Aw, blush! I don’t even know what to say! Thank you so much! I have a gajillion things to blog about this week…but I will address it this week sometime!

I ADORE The Hunger Games. I’m so glad you liked them. I alternate between “literary” fiction and less-highbrow work, most of the time – and it’s a good balance for me. Sometimes I just need a quick, dirty, fun read. (But never something BADLY written. I never, never, EVER need that.)

I just saw a full-length trailer for the movie this weekend – the first one I’ve seen. *SWOON* I can’t wait!

Yes of course I love your fiesty blog! And maybe I should try switching back and forth like that so I don’t go full on snob soon. Bah!

I spend too much if today googling the movies. It’s in fact in ET right now. How strange I was just typing that.

13. hannahkarena says:

Great post! I was holding out reading the Hunger Games too, despite several recommendations. I wasn’t being a snob, per se, but I read the first couple pages and it read so much like The Lottery, by Shirley Jackson, my least favorite short story and I thought it was just not going to be my cup of tea. I wish my friends had pestered me earlier on, had told me the characters and story would be worth it! I finally read them last month and am so sad I didn’t get to enjoy them sooner!

14. ClaireMcA says:

Even for a book snob, ignorance is no blissful encounter. I tend to read the first books, though often never quite finish the series (aka Harry Potter, Twilight, Game of Thrones, Pullman). I think the thing they all have in common is that they generate a kind of excitement that appeals to the masses and its not very often that one book or one series actually pulls that off. Sounds like a guaranteed summer read for me.

Thanks for award recognition Cassie and not surprised you’ve amassed so many nominations, you’ve won the Oscar of Versatile Blogs I do believe. And one only needs to peruse the search terms that lead people to you, to understand why ‘Versatile’ is an entirely appropriate adjective to describe this blog.

Bonne Continuation!

It took me years to finish Harry Potter and I’m more obsessed with JK Rowling than I am with her actual books. I definitely see what you’re saying. I really loved all three of the Hunger Games books but if you just read the first one I won’t hold it against you :)

And thank you, thank you. I’ve always wanted an Oscar. Of course I nominated you since I steal book recommendations from you all the time.

• ClaireMcA says:

I’m totally opening to reading them all, but I think for me its a little like the chocolate block effect, a nibble now and then is fine and leaves you appreciating the taste, but gorging on too much in one go… I used to have the same response if I read too many of the crime novels my mother favoured. I crave diversity, even if it is at times a struggle. But, on the contrary I am looking forward to this read, kudos to Suzanne Collins, its her turn.

That must be why I have this impression of you as adventure and wanderlust woman. For some reason I think you’ve lived everywhere and are completely exotic. I’m sure it is true actually, it has to be :)

Yes, I definitely see what you’re saying. I always try to read different types of books one after the other so I don’t get in a funk or bored with one genre.

15. a. m. f. says:

You made me laugh…I’m the book snob of the library…before that, I worked at B&N, where most of us are book snobs (insert groan over any Oprah book). You’ve just given me an idea for a blog post, thank you! (bit of writer’s block, you see).

I’ve not read The Hunger Games, but I may (or will at least see the movie). Will NEVER do Twilight, though, against my religion (snobbery).

There’s so many book snobs in the world – I’m starting to see how not alone I am. Oh those groans over Oprah, I’m the queen of that. My mom has finally realized not to bring them home from Goodwill if they have that sticker. BAH – ridiculous.

I totally understand your angst against Twilight – I don’t blame you. Don’t do it, stop yourself. : )

16. Sarah Drummond says:

Book snob or not, to me, you will always be my favourite poet regardless of how depressing your shit is. To me, you’re famous by the words you scribble down in your eccentric notebooks, even if they are words you keep from the world.

Also, thanks for my 365 nz shout out :)

I am reading The Hunger Games as soon as I finish This Side of Paradise. You know I always thrive on your book recommendations and am a sucker for an addicting trilogy (Star Wars is king).

Love you,
    Sars

17. autumnlists says:

Squeeeeee! You have no idea how much I’m GEEKING OUT over the movie opening this weekend, mainly because it looks like they were (for once) pretty faithful to the book, which I loved beyond human ability to put into words. For reals. I’m so glad you finally read them.

Haha me too!! I’m so excited to see the movie and see how they masterminded it alive on the screen! Ps. I love the way you wrote this comment it just makes me happy!

18. Ada Adams says:

Hi Cassie!
    I adore your blog. You have such amazing pictures and a really great, funny writing style. I just wanted to chime in and say that I also always have to keep my TV volume on even numbers. Weird, right? Sunglasses rule! :)
    Best regards,
    Ada

Thanks so much, its always great to hear I’m not the only nuerotic I know :) thank you for the compliments as well. I bet you’re totally cool and watch your sunglasses at night.

• Ada Adams says:

No, I have horrible vision! :) If I did that, I would constantly be bumping into things! They are just an awesome tool during the day, especially in the summer. No make-up? No problem!

19. rachelmarie146 says:

Love your review of The Hunger Games! I boycotted them for a long time because I like to do that to anything ridiculously popular (Uggs, etc). When I finally read them, I practically devoured them. I’m a high school teacher so I was reading them at the same time some of my students were and I’d come into class dying to talk about what I had just read!

I do the same thing – I literally read them maybe two months ago because I wanted to read the first one before the movie and ended up reading all three in a weekend. It was a pretty intense weekend of sitting on the couch, but my mind was wild. : )

I’m a high school teacher as well – officially – I begin in August and I look forward to discussing books with my class! YAY!

• rachelmarie146 says:

I started reading them because of the movie too. I am morally against seeing a movie before reading the book. Then it’s just not worth it to me. Your reading list is impressive! I’m happy to see “Animal, Vegetable, Miracle” on there. That book is the reason I changed my major from social studies to health! The chocolate chip zucchini cookies are amazing. I even blogged about them once!

Congrats on getting a job!! I’m actively looking but health teacher positions aren’t very numerous at the moment.

I just finished it. I’ve been an almost vegetarian for about a year, I eat chicken occassionally but majority of the time I go meatless. That was a really fabulous book to read because it gave me even more reasons to eat healthy. I hadn’t even thought about fuel as an issue or travel or quality of food after travel. That was definitely eye opening.

My area is hiring a lot of health teachers but at the elementary level.

20. Yamini says:

I haven’t read HG yet but I also avoid very “popular” books people consider best-reads. It’s mostly because people recommended and forced me to read Twilight and I regret that decision to this day. Twilight makes YA writers seem immature and pathetic.

But I’ve already got HG on my iPad so maybe one of these days I’ll read what happens after Chapter 2. It is tempting, but I already know everything that happens because of so many people talking I don’t even know if its worth it anymore. Spoilers is what sucks about popular books, very hard to avoid them!

I think you’ll like Hunger Games. I think It’s one of those books that people who are book snobs and best seller readers can both share. I really liked it and I’m a huge critic of contemporary YA. I just think most YA now is dumbed down or on fantasy crack.

I don’t recommend the movie though. Bleh. I read the books in a weekend though!