Newsday Tuesday:

I recently discovered the tool that lets google and other search engines show your blog when people go traipsing about the internet.  And it has yielded some fantastic results.  As this is my personal news show, I decided to share these results with you.  Please keep in mind what you’re seeing here are actual search terms by actual people (unless there really are robots using computers).  However, no animals were used in the testing of these terms.

• Banksy Shark Fin – It’s amazing how many people get into graffiti when one man makes himself anonymous and sprays girls holding balloons.  If you’re a badass like me and have had gang training you drive through highway tunnels and find yourself trying to guess the gang that goes with what symbol.
  • The Great Barrier Reef Octopus Wallpaper – Octopuses genuinely creep me out.  Ever since Little Mermaid and seeing a small one suction cup his morsels to the side of a dentist office tank, I’ve been living in fear.  Plus, people in the Great Barrier Reef or who visit the Great Barrier Reef (like me, lucky, lucky) usually want pictures of sea turtles, or sharks.
  • Short Cheers – I am not a cheer leader.  I know, I know, my curly hair throws people off and they think, “oh, how perfect that hair would look in a too-high ponytail waving like a Brady Bunch sister in a cheerleading competition.”  I do, however, like mega-horns.
  • Many armed starfish – Is the sea creating an army?  Also, is that why treasure hunters have found THIS in the Baltic Sea?
  • Sharapova I’m blushing – I hope to the Dear Lord above that an thirteen year old boy typed this into google after seeing nudie pictures.  In googling this myself, I came across this blog: http://howtodateboys.wordpress.com/
  • What is the word for people who get sexually excited over bowel movements? –  If you are dating this man, send him to that infamous video with those two women and their cup…and move on.  This is my 21st century dating advice.
  • My bare ass – no words. Well, maybe some…if your bare ass is on google, sweet bro.
  • Yes, fist pump woman – This just makes me hope that somewhere in the world, there is a commercial with a woman screaming “Yes!” and fist-pumping…rather than the Herbal Essences commercials where women are saying yes and lathering themselves in shampoo.
  • Japanese Fetish Clubs – I really have nothing to say for this. It’s probably my favorite one.

That is it for this weeks: Search Terms.  Add a catchy song voice to it when you say it, ready, go: “Search Terms.”  Like in that commercial where they go, “Dot Com.”  I have already forgotten the rest.

Now onto the BOOK news:

• A Wrinkle in Time is turning 50! Ow, Ow! And this “geek mom” wants you to blog tour with her about it.
  • World Book Night is coming in April and Picador wants you to help celebrate.  Go here for details.
  • Here is the official link for World Book Night so you can figure out how to do your part: www.us.worldbooknight.org

World Book Night

Clever Docking for Book Lover

Recently, I finished two PRINT books with obvious technical errors (extra words, unreadable sentences) and it kind of shocked me. Are we so obsessed with the e-book culture that we have editor’s who slack on the printing, reading and editing of new, and profound literature?  Does the e-book culture make people care less about the technicalities of a book and more about the font, since they feel it isn’t as serious as coming off a printing machine?  I’ve already found two errors in Wildwood (the print version), my new favorite children’s book series and I’m only 167 pages in on the 500 and some page book.  It’s just disappointing that not only is this happening in e-literature, but in print books now as well.  Has e-literature just made this acceptable, period?  I’m usually not an angry letter writer (although that would fit with my demure personality) but I think I’m going to have to write Harper Children’s for this one.  As most of you know, Harper Perennial is like my dream Publisher.  I would wipe toilet seats to work in that office.  If a branch of Harper is going to have quick, technical errors like this in a huge, illustrated, and fantastic adventure story – how can I justify that they’re (fixed thanks to Claire, YAY)! my favorite publisher? Get your shit together, Harper.  I know that sometimes errors slip by, but this is the second one in one book and just because it’s a children’s book doesn’t means it needs a less editorial stringent process.  Adults read these books too, that’s why it says “9+” on it.  (Mini-rant).

Everyone enjoy their Tuesdays, and regardless of error – pick up your copy of Wildwood today.

34 thoughts on “Newsday Tuesday:

1. Kevin says:

Are these words that can be used to find your blog? I’m always amazed at some of the ways my blog gets found. I had always people just googled “Most Genius Blog of All-Time” to find me. Turns out, it’s mostly just people seeking out “Ohio State sucks” or “DirecTV sucks.”

At least you use the prettiest words to say Ohio State Sucks right? Apparently all of those searches lead to this here blog. It kind of scares me…and makes me feel like I need a shower.

2. carrotsformichaelmas says:

OK, I’m in love with the book charger. Gorgeous.

And I need to get my hands on a copy of Wildwood. I heard Colin Meloy talk about it briefly on “Wait, Wait…Don’t Tell Me” and he was as clever and charming as you would expect.

Thanks for stopping by my blog and for the kind words!

Haley

Ouuu I need to listen to that podcast then. His wife and him are adorable in all the photos I’ve seen of them. She’s the illustrator which makes me even happier about this book. You should definitely read it – it’s wonderful.

And I have followed, so I will be stopping by to (in the most non-creepy way ever) stalk your adorable family!

3. ClaireMcA says:

Very out there search terms, mind boggling :)

Sorry to have to point it out but, “their my favorite publisher?” Better fix that error before you write the letter.

Great news summary and love the image you have created, such a talented girl!

4. Cassie says:

Haha, I know right.

And this is why I so love that you read my blog, Claire. I obviously need an editor, haha. I’m slacking doing everything at once. Plus, there, their and they’re has always been a problem for me. I can do the your, you’re and the it’s its majority of the time – but those sneaky there/their/they’re(‘s) BAHHHH!!!

And thank you, love!

• ClaireMcA says:

I thought initially it was deliberate irony, I mean perfect placement, enticing invitation to respond, then again I pondered, maybe it’s just Murphy’s law :)

I love your blog and the freedom to comment and share, I use my travel and life experiences in my fiction and short stories which don’t yet have an outlet, so my blog was an attempt to have a public voice, albeit a somewhat restrained one, when I am so full of stories I would love to share and will eventually I am sure.

I would love to read some of your fiction and short stories since that’s half of what I do for a living, haha. Whenever you send them out into the reading world. :)

I know that when you are on a roll, there is they’re is their, and don’t get me started on those plural and possessives! As for Newsday Tuesday, just another great day in book news, but when are those poems showing up in the Raleigh, NC buses. Now that’s news I need.

6. Stephanie says:

Great links! And I totally agree. I think people are using the new and unfamiliar platform of e-books as an excuse for shoddy formatting and more mistakes than traditional print.

7. jmpix says:

I love Markus Zusak….not only The Book Thief…but also I am the Messenger…great read. I have to get one of those awesome ipod docks…how cool…ps. great article and links :)

8. ceciliag says:

OK I dock rocks, lathering up girlie does not, ERRORS in printed works (i just had a rant about that on someone else’s page a few minutes ago) You are very very naughty which is good!! ha ha.. now i shall go back and check out some of these links.. have fun. celi

9. sterlingbirdie says:

Remember the AR program in middle school? Yeah, well I hated it. Strong words, but so true. I do NOT like being told what to do and how much to read. Telling me to do something will have the exact opposite effect, I must admit. It is the small corner of the rebellious side in me. ANYways, A Wrinkle in Time saved my book-loving-life and I am eternally grateful for that woman! I tore through the rest of the “time quintet” and I haven’t been the same girls since!

10. jennifer orozco says:

Awesome, awesome post! Now, onto the book: was it an uncorrected proof or ARC? If not, SHAME on them! Second, searches tor my blog are pretty boring, except someone who looked up feminist bitches. That one made me giddy…. also, there’s some great Indie stuff out there. Try something by Tin House or Atticus or even a university press. Also, I have to say, regardless of how creepy and non-feminist it sounds: you look so PRETTY in your picture!

You are so funny. I love that you used feminist in two places in one paragraph – it just makes me happy. AND NO! No uncorrected proof, got it straight from the independent bookstores hands. So disappointed. I love, love, love Tin House. I will have to try Atticus. This reminds me I need to renew my subscription to Tin House.

And thank you for the compliments on my face. YAY! That makes my day. : )

11. m. christine weber says:

I can’t decide which post made me snicker more–this or the previous. You crack me up. Thanks for the laugh (and for horrifying me with the disturbing things people google…I think *washes eyes from the burn*) ;0). And yay on Wrinkle in Time’s bday!!!