Project 365: Week 1

A few weeks ago I wrote a post about my goals for the year.  I think it’s become obvious one of my goals is to run a half-marathon since majority of my posts this week included me complaining, and whining about hills, shoes, appropriate underwear, trash in the running space, what type of music I should listen too while running, etc, etc.  #bitchfest. Part of the goals was to envelope myself in photos and take one for each day (hence the 365 in the title).  I got the idea from Emma Bolden who recently documented her favorite photo from each month of the project on her blog.  Every Sunday I’ll be updating you on the photos I’ve chosen for the week (hopefully I’ll have one for everyday) and we can share a bit of each other.  If you want to start the project, please let me know so I can add you to the blogroll at the end of each Sunday post.

Here goes:

Day # 1: Jan 1, 2012

Hugging in the Streets

I like to call this “hugging in the streets.”  On New Years Eve with all of the people, and the commotion, it’s always nice to stop and squeeze the one you’re with, or the four you’re with: your best friends.

Day # 2: Jan 2, 2012

Bud One

This is my very first bud on my very first Orchid.  It’s the pink speckled one that was featured on the blog around summertime.  I finally have a bud meaning I didn’t drown it every week, or leave it stark and dry out in the open of the desk, I watered it just right.  My dad has a jungle plant section in our kitchen next to the glass table with vines, and fangs and hot pink Christmas cactus flowers budding along the rim, and yet I haven’t been able to grow a plant until now.  (Score one: Cassie).

Day #3: Jan 3, 2012

Poetry Postcards

On Day 3, the Raleigh Review did a reading of two fabulous female poets.  This was the calm before the rush/storm/bananza, featuring one of our delightful post cards that are free in the bookshop loft.

Day #3.5: Jan 3.5, 2012

Poets in Twilight

This is the after-mass of the reading; the leftover crumbs of poetry.  It’s partial staff with two board members and local poets; Joseph Millar and Dorianne Laux.  Even though D.Laux taught me three years in a row, I’m still totally intimidated by her presence.  I spill things, I speak louder than usual like I’m lobbying for my own small connection with her, and I’m just plain weird (but is that really that unusual)?  I like to call this photo: poets in twilight.  I had to change the color a bit because the color in our loft makes everyone’s teeth the color of English street people during the plague.

Day #4: Jan 4, 2012

Trashy Cat

This photo was already featured on the blog here.

Day #5: Jan 5, 2012

Little Bird

When I took this photo, I was walking with my mother through the neighborhood and had already seen this bird’s nest a few days in a row on my run.  At eight in the morning it is flirting and flitting with tiny little birds (which is the nickname my mother has called me for the past few years) and so I couldn’t help but hope I had my phone or the camera a few days later and it would still be there.  Squirrels can be quite the devils around bird’s nest; stealing eggs and things.  Lucky for us, my brother game a dad a squirrel whirler for Christmas (only in North Carolina).

I know it’s only January and so these little birds have certainly started early on the nesting thing, but it’s warm here and all of the republicans don’t believe in global warming until the polar bears are dying, and so…the birds know no difference.  (Sorry…I let that republican comment slip out, not meaning to offend anyone).  But birds are one of my favorite things and so it was an easy way to describe that day.  I had a job interview that morning that I probably bombed (I could feel myself imploding one question at a time) and it was going to maybe take me away from my own home nest, and so the birds nest is just one, fat metaphor.

Day #6: Jan 6, 2012

Fish Oil Licker

You knew this was coming.  I’m an old, cat lady.  (By old, I mean old soul).  And here he is, in all his handsome glory, Jasper Dean Cat.  I’m sure this photo is making his ego even bigger, now that he’s featured once again on the blog.  He was enjoying licking a plastic bag (cats do that for the fish oil) and I just snapped this shot from below our kitchen island.  My mother will inevitably write a comment saying, “Get that cat off my counter!”

Day #7: Jan 7, 2012

Blocks & Grandma

And of course, the nephew and the mother.  (His grandmother).  He was building all kinds of castles and buddies for his collection of colorful block buildings (known as the big-a-shed town) and I got this shot while taking photos of each creation.  He doesn’t like to smile anymore, “it’s not a rule,” he says and so this was as cute as I could get.  Blocks and grandma, what more could you ask for?

Blogroll for participating members of 365:

25 thoughts on “Project 365: Week 1

Haha, I do love having a best friend down under because she has some wild sheep stories, and I have a place to visit. Plus, her photos are unbelievable. : ) And thank you, thank you.

1. Jen Thompson says:

Beautiful pictures. The one of the bird’s nest is my favourite. The angle you’ve taken it from and the colours, it’s just fabulous. (I’m trying out a new word to amazing lol.)

thank you, thank you. I think the bird’s nest is one of my favorites too. The tree is blooming in January – which is nuts. And I love fabulous, keep it up. Amazing is good too, but fabulous..man, oh man. Jen – I can’t get to your blog when I click. I think it’s typed wrong under your comments so I’ve just been googling to get there. But, change it somehow where you comment if you notice so that people who read my blog can read yours.

• Jen Thompson says:

Hey thanks for the heads up. I didn’t know it was doing that. I’ve changed it now so hopefully when you click on my name (from new comments) it should direct you to the right place. *crosses fingers.*

I wish I had stopped for a minute to look at all your pictures when you called me over. A Grandma’s work is never done, and my pumpkin muffins were burning.
    The pictures are so interesting, and that is why I wish I had stopped to see them all, even the ones that didn’t make the “365 day” cut.
    I will look forward to every Sunday so I might see your week through pictures.
    The bird’s nest is amazing and fabulous too!, but who can resist a Grandma giving a grandson a kiss amongst blocks!

3. mselene says:

That’s such a great idea! I love projects like that because I have such short term memory that any kind of documentation of what the year has been like is great! :)

4. cupidsbow says:

Great photos! I’m really enjoying my Project 366 (I realised that it was a Leap Year last week), and I’m secretly rather pleased that I have managed to keep up with a photo each day, even if we are only 8 days into the new year!

I’ve got a cat photo as one of my eight too, they make such great subjects!

I’ll have to add you to the blogroll then – thanks for letting me know you’re doing it. And yes, cats, how could we ever let them not be photographed. My cat actually let me get his handsome face this time around so that was wonderful haha. I feel the same – sometimes I have to remind myself to take a photo and you’re right – only 8 days in, that’s kind of sad, haha.

Leah – your project is awesome especially all the cat pictures, and girls in tu-tu’s. Sounds like my photos will be a lot like yours, now if I could only found a poofy pink tu-tu in my size.

5. emmabolden says:

Oh, I LOVE this!!! And I love the idea of posting a week’s worth of photos on the blog. I might have to steal that idea! I also love the cat and beer photo. Gertrude Stein is obsessed with beer, to the point to where she’s learned how to tip the can so she can drink out of it.

I bow down to you for naming your cat Gertrude Stein – especially for the fact that she likes beer. Sounds like a cat my cat should be friends with. : ) Are you doing the 365 photos again this year?! Because you should post some for all to see!

6. Audra (Unabridged Chick) says:

*Gorgeous* photos! I love them — your life looks so poetic! Good luck with the marathon training — my wife did her first half marathon on New Year’s Day and loved it — at least, now she does. Day of, she said she wanted so badly to quit at 12 miles!

7. Amy Bradney-George says:

I love the idea of taking a picture a day! A few years ago I took a photo a day for half of the year (I started midway through) but never put them anywhere, so I’m excited to see how many bloggers are doing a similar year-long project.

Of yours so far I like Little Bird and Poets in Twilight; the former for it’s composition and the latter for the warmth of the people in it.

Thank you, thank you. Send me a link to yours if you still have some of them up – I guess your favorites. and if you want to do it this year, I’ll add you to the blog roll of my blog. : )

8. Geoff W says:

This is great! I’m doing the same challenge this year :) Although yours are much more artistic, mine seem to be more moment-in-time snapshot than photograph.