Day 2, 2012: A NEWSDAY TUESDAY

It’s day 2 of the New Year and I already had to give myself a pep talk.  That means by the end of the year, I’ll be throwing a pep rally in order to get myself moving (with fully functioning cheerleaders).  This morning I started my training for a half-marathon and while I’m not a Biggest Loser contestant, I’m unfortunately stuck screaming inside my own head while I run.  What is it that Cassie says to herself as motivation, you ask?  Well, let’s see, here’s a few one-liners.

• “Come on, Cass, run for all the women who couldn’t vote in America…”  Ah, using my history minor well, I see.
  • “Just make it to the stop sign, Cass.  (Tag the stop sign, like a high five).  It’s like your running a relay race…but alone.” Wow, I’m totally encouraging.  If only I had a baton to pass to my other hand.

There were others, but they most likely used expletives and so I’m going to avoid using them on my blog, even though my mother personally pointed out that she prefers *ucking to its original version.

And that’s how Day 2 of half-marathon training is going.  For all of you runners out there, with your fancy shoes and your hot pink Under Armor gear that makes your butt look perfectly polite, you win.

—————————————————————————————————-

On Tuesdays, if you’re new to my blog, I usually do a Newsday Tuesday where I tell you all about the book news for the week.  It’s a nice little session with me as Brian Williams (eyes-a-gleamin’) and you as couch potato.  This is also my mother’s favorite part of my blog (it’s becoming a trend, and no I don’t live in my mother’s basement…I know you guys were thinking it…)  Here goes:

• Michigan Notable Books (for those of you, who like me, are doing the Where Are You Reading Challenge).
  • NPR Top 3 Poems of 2011  Unfortunately, I haven’t read any of these poems so I can’t really say if they’re full of wonder and brilliance.  I usually trust NPR though, probably shouldn’t, but I do (especially the BBC News Hour, I love listening to their accents even if I’m not really listening at all).
  • Three books with “Hell-Raising Heroines.”  I just like the idea that instead of doing a list of Rom-Coms where women faint, and place the back of their hand gently on their forehead and sigh, they’re doing the list of “hell-raisin’ heroines.”  It’s like a list that would fit perfectly in a biker bar, or the middle of an all woman moonshine outfit.
  • NPR Best American Poetry (not to be confused with the three best poems of the year).  Again, I haven’t read any of these books even though I usually have by the end of the year (shucks) so I can’t agree or disagree.  You’ll just have to take their word for it, those democrat lovin’ book critics.
  • Alan Heathcock writes about how a poem a day has created a peacefulness to his world.  I could have told you that, but he does it so eloquently, I’ll let him.  Have you ever had that moment where you’re like, “damn, I could have written this and been published, and famous, and in love with some wonderful poet who doesn’t drink, even though it’s common in the poet circle, and also doesn’t whine, or thrive in the contemporary drama…and yet, there you are, in your bed…not writing, but reading this work of brilliance.  I have, I do it all the time.  Except as Annie Dillard says, “At its best, the sensation of writing is that of any unmerited grace.  It is handed to you, but only if you look for it.  You search, you break your heart, your back, your brain, and then–and only then–it is handed to you.” (The Writing Life, Annie Dillard, p. 75).  I guess I haven’t been heart broken enough to pick at the skin of a novel until it tears open.  It’s important to remember, for me at least, that when you write something, you’re the only person in the world who could have written that piece of undying words. (Romantic, eh)
  • On the Space of the Fairytale.  While I still haven’t forgiven Kate Bernheimer for letting famous writer’s write unpublishable pieces for her last collection of fairytales called My Mother She Killed Me, My Father He Ate Me, I still think this small article on Rapunzel is pretty cool.  And by cool, I mean leather jacket, cigarette out of the chapped corner of your mouth, cool.
  • One of my favorite writers Tiffanie DeBartolo happens to have a twitter…which in turn means, I happen to tweet at her obsessively from time to time and wish *wishwishwish* that she would come out with a new book soon.  So, if you’re reading this, I’m hungering over a new book from you, Tiffanie D.  (She has written God Shaped Hole and How to Kill a Rockstar if anyone is interested.  God Shaped Hole is probably my favorite book of all time).   Anyway, she had this to say on the tweet yesterday, “Hiked 8 miles with friends and lover, had a lovely lunch, took a romantic bath, had sex, now reading a great book. So far, so good 2012.” —–> And thus, why I love her.  Follow her @TiffanieD.
  • The Best of Condescending Literary Pun Dog (need I say more?)

Bahahahaha.

And that’s it for Newsday Tuesday. I’m sure I’ll blog more about books later this week, probably. Definitely.  I’m about to embark on Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children so we’ll see how this goes since everyone else in the blogosphere has read, and blogged, about this book.  Don’t worry, I haven’t read any spoilers.  (Although, I have read some sudden nonsense about a sequel…can it be turned into another book as well?  Those of you who have read it please let me know so I’m not disappointed by the ending).  It’s like when my friend Gabby bought Harry Potter the day before me in Australia and didn’t pee or eat all night until she finished it, and then knew the ending before me because she was in the future…ugh. So, no, I didn’t ruin it for myself.

16 thoughts on “Day 2, 2012: A NEWSDAY TUESDAY

1. ClaireMcA says:

So you are doing a kilomatre challenge as well as numerous book challenges, of to be back in my twenties, I remember that phase, the 10km fun run with 120,000 other people, the triathalon, the 50 laps of the pool at 6am period, the Jane Fonda gig – good luck girl, I’m sticking to life on the third floor with no lift, Pilates once a week and grateful to have refound my abs!

Haha, I wish I was fifteen again and swimming four hours a day for year round. Sheesh louise. I think you’re doing QUITE well with your pilates (which I would love to get into). And abs, I wish I could see abs…all I see is skin – albeit it’s not fat skin, just skin without form. I hope to find those somewhere in 2012…right now, they’re a mystery.

• ClaireMcA says:

Well, it’s not quite that I see them, but that I feel them for sure the next day, my hubby checks for his most days, hasn’t seen them in a while either, but he runs 20km three times a week! No way, I won’t be joining him :)

2. zettew says:

I can’t wait to see what you think of “Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children”! I really enjoyed it, but I’d have to think about whether it could successfully have a sequel….

I got so scared before the part he met the girl with the flames that I literally had to turn on a night light and by that, I mean the bathroom across the hall.

The pace of it is SO GOOD so far. I just hope he doesn’t ruin it with something completely out of the loop.

3. Everyday Scrawlings says:

Haha when I’m running or playing tennis I must say my self-encouragment isn’t fit for the written word…
    I also LOVE the Dog picture this week! It was a lot more relaxing than a few weeks ago and the Egyptian book burning :( almost heart-breaking.
    Oh and in my latest post I mentioned your blog as one of my favourites as I got nominated for the ‘Versatile Blogger Award’ but I see you already have it…should have known really, I love your blog and so will everyone else! Duh, I’m quite stupid really.

Haha you would use “quite” correctly in a sentence, I feel like I’m back in Australia. And yes the dog is much happier than a pile of ashy books, there were more, but the Whitman joke was one of my favorites.

I never could play tennis – I’m not coordinated that way, but good for you – I’m sure you were grunting a lot because that seems like it goes with tennis…in my head at least.

Lastly, CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR VERSATILE BLOGGER AWARD. You so deserve it. I wrote this on your blog already – but anyone reading mine I hope you check out Everyday Scrawlings – so good and you can read it in your head in an accent since technically it came out of the mouth that way! YAY!

• Everyday Scrawlings says:

Haha this may sounds stupid, or rather back up the fact that I’m a tad stupid, but I was so happy with how cute the dog was…I totally missed the Whitman joke. I embarrass myself sometimes…

Well, I say I play tennis but the correct thing to say is ‘I try to play tennis’ – Fortunately I am not a grunter, those folk are rather frowned upon for being a bit too dramatic, you are right though, it is one of the things I associate most with tennis – damn you Ms. Sharapova.

Thanks again! So flattering, I’m blushing!

4. rubybastille says:

You are one of my new favorite blogs, I think. I will be digging through those NPR poetry stories and spending way too much time with Condescending Literary Pun Dog.

Also, Miss Peregrine is on my to-read list for this year, so you’re not the only one in the blogosphere who hasn’t read it yet. I wasn’t even aware that so many had – most of the book blogs I read (which I admit are few) are still raving about Divergent (which I also haven’t read).

I haven’t read Divergent either – awesome! We’re two of a kind. : ) And thank you for the compliments. I hope you do read all of those stories and spend way too much time with the handsome husky in glasses. Enjoy yourself!

5. lapetiteveg says:

There are about a billion things that go through my head when I run, and they’re all just as weird– if not weirder!– than yours. So don’t fret! The important thing is that you’re out there. And if you get some weird looks, just remind yourself that you’re the one running, not them. So good for you for getting out there and moving! I find that if I have too many thoughts going on, it’s helpful to listen to my iPod. When I get into the running routine (not there yet), I ditch the ‘pod, as my thoughts are much more positive. Oh, and whenever you hit the stop sign, just imagine it’s your mom high-fiving you as you pass her during the race! (or if you’re really cocky, imagine it’s some random person who thinks you’re the bomb and has been cheering for you to win this whole time.) It’s what I often do with tree branches and bushes. No judgment. Good luck with the training!

That’s an awesome idea and totally encouraging. I think I’ll imagine it’s Ryan Gosling – just for personal pleasure. How do you like your Vibram Five Fingers…I’m tempted to get some, but I don’t know if I’m at THAT level yet. And thank you for the good luck – good luck to you as well. Your run through Paris looks BEAUTIFUL.