I have some fun things to share for April 10th. First, go without shoes tomorrow for TOMS’ One Day Without Shoes. They can say it better than me so check it out to the right. The other thing is the Goodread’s Book Blogger Award. I really wasn’t going to enter myself in this because I do not have the luck of my Irish ancestors, but I would love to go to the book convention and take my mother on a trip to NY. If you like this blog, please just take the time to vote for me. I will go as low as putting cherries on top to earn your vote.
And now for the usual:
Favorite Search Terms
- The big sleep bookstore: sounds like a store in Sleepy Hollow. Maybe I should hibernate there in the winter instead of wearing scarves, turning red, and shivering.
- “blog” tights: I need these. I commenced in googling until I found any reference to blogging on a pair of tights. I’m pretty positive that they don’t quite exist yet – blogging tights, or blogging leggings, in case you’re wondering. What we need are “blogging is sexy” tees. Yum.
- poems about liking a boy: Aren’t you cute. Look up Romeo and Juliet, buy a dagger.
- why is carolyn forche a good poet: WHOAREYOU. And you can’t capitalize a name (even in a google search). You’re hearby kicked off this blogging island. Banned. Banished. Exiled. Removed by deadly force.
- wwjd bracelet font: One thing you don’t know about me… since I was fourteen I’ve worn a WWJD bracelet on my left wrist. When one breaks, I immediately run out to the Family Christian Store and get a new one. I used to have a rainbow one – it was my gay pride Jesus bracelet, now I just have black. I like the person who googled this, they get me.
- my rabbit’s ears are gleam: poet?
- Coming soon: Larkin’s complete poems.
- Tweet Seats. I want to see this at a poetry reading. It would go something like, “she just said breast, this is getting sexual.”
- I always knew Jodi Picoult was pure evil (and I want to hear no argumentative comments about this either). Assisted suicide and now no self-publishing? Okay, maybe I’m with her on the no self-publishing thing.
- The New York Public Library is slacking it seems. My dear friend La posted this instagram.
- ALA’s Most Challenged has a newcomer on the scene. Hunger Games too violent for the majority of book haters?
- Facebook is destroying minds @ Poetry Foundation. Posting a status update doesn’t mean that you can write a haiku.
- I post this in all sincerity with my own Barbie history. Katniss is plastic.
- “F You.” A magazine for the Arts. (Yep, with a capital A).
- Six Lessons for Boys in Jane Austen @ The Christian Monitor.
- Yes, yes, Cassandra Clare trends. She will never be the most famous Cassandra though. I have big plans.
- Goodreads has an April poetry winner. Read David Sloan here.
- Take a writing workshop with Simon Van Boy. Enjoy tea and crumpets, collard shirts with puffy, and/or blowy necks as well as an accent.
- Instagram is worth more than NY Times. If I wasn’t so obsessed with it than I would definitely be belligerent right now with the state of reading in our country. Then again, I’m always belligerent about the state of reading.
- Followers in Wisconsin, this is for you.
- Seventeen Must-Reads for Spring @ Minn Post.
- Take a cruise with a classicist. No, seriously, ride The Odyssey route. Homer would want you to.
- Most frequently challenged books of 2011: Hunger Games #3. Guess who’s Number 1. Hint: The titles are not in English.
- Best Erotic Poem of History, where? The Bible.
- Literary Tattoo Contest. I don’t have mine yet, so I’m totally out of it.
- Week of April 9th: Hot Reads @ The Daily Beast.
Almost nothing to do with books and almost all to do with writing. Make your penpal use their surprise face with fun letterheads @ Letterheady.
- David Foster Wallace nonfiction supposed to top charts.
- I can’t resist this (did Bill recite this to Monica)? Okay, now that I got that out of the way, because I adore Bill Clinton as a President, here is his favorite poem (recited on youtube). If you are a staunch, angry republican, just hearing him will make you flustered so don’t bother.
- Seven mobile apps for developing and creating poetry. These. are. awesome.
- Israel has banned German Nobel Laureate due to poem found here @ Feministing.
- 10 Crazy Book Cover Designs (even pasta. Read and make lasagna) @ Flavorwire.
- Chip Kidd talks book covers.
- Doris Lessings’ Golden Notebook 50 Years Later.
- MLA ranked 25 American Writers, but the problem is…are they all considered American? @ Book Riot
- Why literary fiction isn’t boring @ Writers’ Digest.
- The Old Man and the Sea animated in Stop Motion. SO COOL.
- This is a bit old but McSweeney’s 39 excerpt on Rumpus is AMAZING.
- What We Talk about When We Talk about Anne Frank.
- Let People Poems on WordPress.
- New York Public Library is going digital with Twain. He would be fishing.
- Ten Books to Read Before you Grow Up @ Listverse
- PBS | Share Poetry with your Child & Love.
- Reading of “Famous” by Naomi Shihab Nye (Not read by her).
- Rumpus interviews Mark Liedner.
If you’re new to my blog, I’m obsessed with Alice. There really only is one Alice, so I can’t really elaborate. I need to go to bed.
Christopher Lee reads Lewis Carroll’s “Jabberwocky.”